Write to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to support KPFA
San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors will consider this resolution on Tuesday afternoon, December 14. [UPDATE: the Board discussed the matter, but it has been “continued” until next week when presumably, it will be taken up again.]
Please CLICK HERE to write your representatives. Here are some points you might like to make:
• The board of supervisors has a long history of encouraging labor negotiations through resolutions. It is entirely appropriate to ask Pacifica to negotiate in good faith with its union workers.
• Pacifica and KPFA are facing a tough economy, but reasonable proposals agreed to by KPFA’s local station board, staff and management were ignored by Pacifica, which instead made severe cuts, including canceling its most lucrative program and laying off its staff.
• Pacifica’s mismanagement is causing serious damage to KPFA. Hundreds of listeners have canceled their subscriptions and pledges, or have tuned away from KPFA.
• The layoffs violate KPFA’s union contract because Pacifica made no effort to negotiate alternatives to layoffs, as required by the contract, and laid off workers without proper regard to seniority. The union has filed charges with the National Labor Relations Board.
• Pacifica is targeting outspoken staff who have challenged its mismanagement. Even though their layoffs were not effective for weeks, laid-off staff were told to stop working immediately.
• KPFA should be locally controlled, not have a budget imposed on it by its parent corporation without regard for its listeners and staff.
• Let’s preserve and support KPFA, a treasure of Berkeley, the bay area and the entire state.
Please CLICK HERE to write to the Board of Supervisors.
If clicking above doesn’t automatically load 13 emails addresses for you to send, then please manually paste this list of San Francisco supervisors into your email and send:
Michela Alioto-Pier, Michela.Alioto-Pier@sfgov.org
John Avalos, John.Avalos@sfgov.org
David Campos, David.Campos@sfgov.org
David Chiu, David.Chiu@sfgov.org
Carmen Chu, Carmen.Chu@sfgov.org
Chris Daly, Chris.Daly@sfgov.org
Bevan Dufty, Bevan.Dufty@sfgov.org
Sean Elsbernd, Sean.Elsbernd@sfgov.org
Eric Mar, Eric.L.Mar@sfgov.org
Sophie Maxwell, Sophie.Maxwell@sfgov.org
Ross Mirkarimi, Ross.Mirkarimi@sfgov.org
Office of the Clerk, Board.of.Supervisors@sfgov.org